Nagpur High Court
It was on 1936 January 9, the full-fledged High Court was established at Nagpur. Sir Gilbert Stone was appointed as first Chief Justice. He was working as a judge in Madras high Court at that time. The construction work of the new building, which is the present High Court building, is started on 1937. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by Late Sir Hyde Gowan January 9 of the same year. The Nagpur High Court building was designed by Resident Architect Mr. H.A.A. Medd. The total cost of the construction of the building was Rs 7,37,746.00/-. On 6th January , 1940, in the opening ceremony of Nagpur High Court, the Viceroy of India described this building as a poem in stone.
The Structure and of Nagpur High Court BuildingThe Nagpur high Court is functioned in a two stories building. There is a beautiful garden in the centre of the courtyard. 400 ft. x 230 ft. is the outside dimensions. The main central dome that has a height of 109 feet above ground land is the major attraction of the building. The remainder of the building has an approximate height of 52 feet. Sandstone is used to construct Nagpur high court. The building possesses Ashlar stone facing and brick heating. The floors of the office and corridors in Nagpur high court building is decorated with Sikosa and Shahabad flag stones. The other attraction of the building is the fairly well planned garden on the eastern as well as western sides.
As an extension, there are two annex buildings on both sides of the high court building and they are North and South wings. Government of Maharashtra has sanctioned Rs 1,29, 26, 605.00/- for the construction of these buildings on dated 21st March 1983. South Wing consists various utilities for public, i.e. the bar and litigants as well as High Court Government Pleader’s Establishment that includes Standing Coursel for Central Government and ‘A Panel Counsels and for the establishment. North wing is proposed to accommodate additional Court Halls, Judger’s Liabrary and the office and Chambers of the honourable Judges.
Functioning of the High CourtUntil the reorganization of States in 1956, the High Court Nagpur continued to function in this building. With effect from 1956 November 1, the greater bi-lingual State of Bombay came into existence and eight Marathi speaking districts of Vidarbha became a part of this state. The remaining fourteen Hindi speaking districts of the former Madhya Pradesh merged to the newly constituted State of Madhya Pradesh that has the capital at Bhopal. Madhya Pradesh High Court was treated as the successor of the former High Court at Nagpur.
With effect from 1956 November 1, a bench of High Court at Bombay start to sit and function at Nagpur High Court building and it continues to do so even after the State of Maharashtra was formed on 1960 may 1. The strength of the bench of High Court at Bombay consisted of four honorable Judges during the year 1960. At present, this bench has the strength of 10 honorable Judges and 412 total employees.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0